VIC Family Law - Can I Withhold Daughter Until Ex-Partner's Vehicle is Roadworthy?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
22 November 2015
Hi there, every fortnight my ex-partner has our daughter for the weekend. We meet halfway which is 45 mins both ways. I have seen that he has three bald tyeares and one severely bald (canvas showing). I tried talking to him about it, but he says he will not do anything until they blow. Is it legal for me to withhold her until his vehicle is roadworthy under Family Law?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
If there's a court order, then you'll likely face contravention orders and bald tires aren't going to cut it as an excuse for withholding the child's time with the father.

If you want, you can notify his local police because having bald tires is a traffic offence, so it might prompt him to replace the tires. It doesn't, however, make him an unfit parent.

22 November 2015
I just thought it would be for the safety of the child, as bald tyeares could cause an accident and i thought he should be looking into the safety of having his 3 year old with him in the car

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I understand your position, but the court is going to balance the harm that may happen to the child if there was a car accident against the harm that will happen to the child if they are made to suddenly stop seeing her father. You would be causing one form of harm to reduce the risk of another form of harm occurring.

22 November 2015
I would only be withholding her until he's fixed it, but it doesn't matter now. I have the legal advice I need. He would still be able to have her if he used a different car and that was all I wanted.