QLD Family Law - Can I Marry an Automobile?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Craashbeck

26 February 2016
So is that a no if it is a Hyundai?

I am not weird or anything. I want to marry my car so I can show my landlord the marriage certificate so that I can get inside "undercover" parking for my "wife". Don't think he will make me leave my wife outside.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
This is without a doubt the best post I have seen on this forum in a long time, but unfortunately, you're going to find you're out of luck.

Section 5 of the Marriage Act 1961 defines marriage as: "the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life." There's no definition for 'man' and 'woman', so interpretation reverts to the ordinary meaning, and unfortunately, an automobile is by all accounts a vehicle, not a homo sapien of the female sex (or a 'woman').

Conclusion: In Australia, you can't have a legally binding marriage to your car.

Reactions: Lanna86

Craashbeck

26 February 2016
Thank you for the answer. I am going to have to find another way to get my inside car parking.

I was prepared to marry the car to try to get one, now I will search for another way. I really can't bear to see the car outside in the dark world by itself each night.
JUST-MARRIED-CAR-B-BY-MARIELLE-WEB.jpg

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Perhaps you could offer to pay higher rent in exchange for undercover parking for your unrequited love.