QLD Family Law - Can 16-Year-Old Move Out Without Parental Consent?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
30 September 2016
1) A 16-year-old nephew I have is looking to move away from home. Can he do that legally regardless of parental opposition?

2) Also, what happens if a parent uses threats of verbal / physical violence to force said minor to allow parent to nominate as a Centrelink nominee and I witnessed but the minor won't talk/report?

3) Also, if a parent fails to provide a birth certificate to the minor and said minor doesn't have enough identification documents to identify himself how does he gain his birth certificate?

Need expert family law help.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
You'll never get 100% reliable, unbeatable legal advice for free from strangers on a website, mate.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yup, no help here is gonna be 100%. Bit rude to demand it really...

Anyways, call births deaths marriages. They will give you 100% correct info on how the kid can get a birth certificate.

So the kid can walk into Centrelink and told them where they are living and the name of any adult who may be looking after them, in fact he should take the adult along. The child might be entitled to some financial assistance and by informing Centrelink the parent who threatened the child will likely have their payments ceased as they are not the carer of the child.

Might work, but they will give you 100% correct advice.

30 September 2016
This is all helpful, thanks a bunch. Of course you can't get 100% reliable info in a online forum but hoping to get as close as possible. Can't disappoint the kid with incorrect info. I promised him I'd be there for him no matter what.

30 September 2016
YUP no advice here is gonna be 100%. Bit rude to demand it really....

Anyways
Call births deaths marriages. They will give you 100% correct info on how the kid can get a birth certificate.

So the kid can walk into centrelink and tell them where they are living and the name of any adult who may be looking after them, in-fact he should take the adult along. The child might be entitled to some financial assistance and by informing centrelink the parent who threatened child will likely have their payments ceased as they are not the carer of the child. Might work, but they will give you 100% correct advice.

The minor already receives a benefit paid via a volunter nominee that obtained by not very voluntuary methods.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok so the last comment is a bit vague... But contacting the relevant authorities is the best advice you'll get