NSW Family Law - Benefits of Getting Married?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

rk90

29 October 2016
So here's my question:

I've currently been in a relationship with a single mom of 3 kids for about a year and a half. Right now, she is unemployed and living off government benefits, but nearly done with Personal Training school and will be starting to work that part time. She has full custody of children and no help including no child support from her ex, so she's doing the best she can.

I am fine with this situation, however, I am trying to decide what will be best for us financially. Since she will only be working part time as a PT, her income is probably only gonna be in the 20k-30k range, at least starting off, meaning she'd still get a good deal of government assistance.

I make 90k currently. I would like to marry her, but at the same time, I'm wondering if it would be financially smarter for us to remain single as her financial aid will get cut from my income.

Can anyone weigh in on this situation? I'm not sure what kind of tax breaks/benefits we would get from marrying as opposed to what she will get if we remain unmarried.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Has your partner tried to claim child support from the ex?

rk90

29 October 2016
Has your partner tried to claim child support from the ex?
Yes. He has no income on record. He has a rich family and doesn't work, at least not on the books. So it's been pretty much impossible. He's a deadbeat. Doesn't call or want anything to do with his kids.

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Look up Centrelink rates online to get an idea. There are tables on the Centrelink website. With 3 kids and your income, she would probably be entitled to some family payments. Definitely won't be the amount she is receiving as a single parent. Remember that defacto will be treated the same as married when it comes to Centrelink.

Family Tax Benefit A cut off is $135,671 for 3 kids under 12.

Income test for Family Tax Benefit Part A - Australian Government Department of Human Services