Family Law - Seeking Contravention Orders?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Carla JM

9 April 2014
I am in desperate need of a family solicitors advice on the Gold Coast. I need clarification on current order and contravention orders.

Pat L

9 April 2014
Hi,

Below, I’ve provided the most recent Doyle’s Guide list of leading family law firms in Queensland.

Hartley Healy and Jones Mitchell are the ones with offices on the Gold Coast. There’s also McLaughlins Lawyers on the Gold Coast who have come with good recommendation. The other firms listed have offices in Brisbane if that’s not too far for you.

First Tier:
HopgoodGanim

Second Tier:
Barry.Nilsson
Hirst & Co
Murdochs

Third Tier:
Cooper Grace Ward
*Hartley Healy
Herbert Geer
Rice Naughton Buckley
Ryan Kruger

Recommended:
Best Wilson
Carne Reidy Herd
Hemming & Hart
Jones McCarthy
*Jones Mitchell

Michael T

9 April 2014
Good morning Carla JM,

Having had my fair share of family law issues, the most important thing is to remain focused on any children and be unemotional/factual (as reasonably possible) in relation to any issues with a former partner, etc.

If you have experienced what you believe to be an actual (not minor/trivial) contravention of any existing order, the first step is to record and fully document the alleged contravention. For example, if you’ve been able to record the incident on your phone and/or take notes during/immediately after the incident. Remember to keep the notes factual (e.g. At 1pm, I went to the shop and was approached by my former partner. He then did x, I responded by doing y, etc.).

You should then consult legal advice. A family lawyer will likely advise you to complete an Application – Contravention Form. The form requires you to fill in details of the alleged contravention. If you’ve taken notes, this should be fairly easy to do. You’ll then need to serve the document on your former partner using the Family Court’s Service Kit.

You may also consider the Citizens Advice Bureau in Southport (Gold Coast). They offer free family law legal advice and operate outreach clinics in Oxenford, Palm Beach, Varsity Lakes, Coomera, Upper Coomera and Nerang on various days of the week. Their website is http://www.advicebureau.org.au/legal-help.html and you can call them on (07) 5532 9611.

All the best and keep us up to date with how you go.

Michael T

9 April 2014