NSW Family Court - Is Other Party's Family Lawyer Obligated to Respond?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ForATime

24 June 2015
Does the other party's family lawyer have an obligation under some code to be responsive to my family lawyer or is it simply that they do not have to respond until family court?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Generally speaking, lawyers are not obliged to respond to correspondence from an opposing party unless instructed by their client to do so.

okanynameyouwishthen

12 February 2015
Austral
What about if they're an ICL ? As a SRL, I personally find it infuriating to send correspondence to the ICL with a question or seeking clarification on an issue, etc. only to get eventual reply few days later whereby their main concern is whether I've also sent other parties lawyer a copy of the same.

They often end with " regarding XYZ issue(s) you mentioned, may we suggest for you to seek independent legal advice. "

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Well, the ICL isn't a source of legal advice for you. They're appointed to represent the children's best interests, which means they review all of the documents for the entire case, and give its recommendation to the court accordingly. They're not obligated to respond to questions either party has, just the same as your ex's lawyer isn't obligated to respond.

If you're seeking help as an SRL, the Family Law Registry and Legal Aid can help. Legal Aid will offer up to three appointments for free on a single matter, so write down all of your questions before your consultation.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Nope they are both funded by the tax payer - but they don't represent the tax payer. They represent their clients.