QLD Family Court - Dealing with Apprehensive Bias?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

happily dazed

18 May 2017
Gold Coast QLD
Good Afternoon

I was hoping to get some thoughts on apprehended bias ( or is it apprehensive bias?)

I am currently going through the motions of being a self-represented respondent to an initiating application for final parenting orders, my ex wife has made in the federal circuit court, with the support of a no expense spared lawyer that's funded by her parents,

There is an ICL involved in the matter, and a family report is being conducted in early February.

The ex-wife has submitted 5 affidavits thus far, all with a plethora of accusations and allegations. She also obtained a DVO just prior to initiating the family court proceeding, which she is milking for all it's worth every chance available to. She recently submitted an amended initiating application and that is now seeking she have sole parental responsibility.

At the most recent mention, in mid November last year, the judge tore strips off me for having not submitted my response documents on time, the deadline to do so was two days before the mention.

I had the docs stamped by a jp on time and try'd to upload them onto the court portal on the day I was required to do so, but for reasons unknown it just wouldn't upload, I called the court registry first thing the following morning, which was now the day before the mention, and was told that I couldn't come to the courthouse in person to have the response docs sealed, ready for service, inside 48 hrs of the mention,

So all I could really do was bring the 3 copies jp stamped docs to court with me on the day of the mention, and have them sealed at the registry to be served on the day!

During his tirade, The judge said I lacked the required sophistication to use the portal, and that he believed I was lying about the attempt to upload the docs on the portal,

Also That he now thinks I am dishonest person in general, therefore I now have zero credibility with him, or with the court, to the point that he wouldn't trust me to give him an honest account of the weather outside,

He also stated it's no wonder the ex doesn't trust me, or want me spending any extra time than I do with the children, in fact she suggests less would be preferred He then went on to approve the submission the ex made to remove the weekday time that I had with the children, changed the changeover location from their school to a contact centre, meaning no involvement with school or their daily routines at all,

He also took an hour from each day on the alternate weekends I have our 3 children, among a host of other minor consequences,

He also made an order that I pay $1200 towards her legal fees for the day.

Upon being virtually ejaculated from the court room, and while on my way out of the building, I was approached by two separate people who were present and witnessed what had taken place during the mention,

One being an ICL, the other was just a random lawyer, both said the judge was out of line, and that I should seriously seek legal advice on apprehended bias, that there was a clear perception of bias being shown towards the mrs (lawyer), as he wouldn't so much as accept the document I offered providing evidence of the attempted upload of docs on the portal, or consider anything else I had to say on any other issue raised.

I don't particularly fancy another court battle, certainly not against a fed court magistrate, I've got plenty enough to deal with as it is, however, if it's a one horse race from this point on, and he's not going to give any consideration to anything I say or present, then what other option is there,

And how would I go about raising the matter of bias, if it's considered an option available that's worth me persuing ?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated,

Cheers in advance

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
It is an option, as is a general appeal. Refusing to view relevant evidence is an error that may by itself be grounds for an appeal.

I recommend getting a lawyer if the result is important to you. Especially if you have more court time set aside with the same judge.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yep... I reckon you are right... What to do? Nothing.

Or tell magistrate he is wrong and biased. How do you think that is gonna end for you...?

Lesson learnt... get the documents sorted well early...

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
You don't tell the judge he is wrong. You appeal to the full court. If the judge has made a bad call and the appeal is successful then the original decision can be set aside and a new judge appointed next time.

If the risk is spending substantially less time with your children, especially with a vindictive ex who has already demonstrated a willingness to abuse the court system to get her own way, then fight it, and fight it now while you can. Waiting until the final hearing with the same judge may be too late.

May as well give up now if that's the case.

happily dazed

18 May 2017
Gold Coast QLD
Cheers Rod n Sammy

Has either of you had any part or involvement in claiming judicial bias ?

If it had of been left at just me n my thoughts of the mention, I wouldn't even consider such an option,

Begs the question why two random lawyers with no vested interest would both have the urge to say I got a Shyte deal ?

I hear what your saying Sammy, and to answer your question of how do I think it would go for me ?

Well being conservative, I'd say the best possible is that it would go absolutely terribly,

considering that even if I managed to have a win, and got rid of the guy,

There's a better than average chance his golf mate from the chambers next door is going to replace him,

and it's highly unlikely he would come In celebration of me, for having successfully challenged the authority of a fellow judge :)

But........

I also think you make a good point Rod, thecourt runs a docket system with same judge start to finish,

And sadly, the one that happens to be running the proceeding for the childhoods and lives of my 3 kids, has openly declared he isn't much into me, or giving me much of a look in with the time I get awarded to spend with my kids ?

It's a bloody worry to consider what's at stake, and that it's going to be decided by the jusdge in question ?

Based on such things as his perception of who is and isn't worthy of his credibility ?

And knowing that i happen to fit into the isn't worthy category,

Which is due to not having a response uploaded two days prior to a mention,

Considering also that the documents In question that I am having to produce a response to, are in reality, the most nonsensical, self centred and cold hearted few hundred pages of complete fabrications possibly ever written ?

But happily, they were written quite possibly a full year ahead of time, and therefore receive full credibility from the court ?

Bit of a Tough decision to make ?

Any ideas about sending him a message via his associate, remind him of the statements and comments he made, as well as the outcome, include what I attempted to provide him with,

And see what the judge has to say about the matter ? And if after seeing the docs that I had with me on the day, perhaps can reinstate the credibility thing a bit, and perhaps he would re-consider the decisions made on the day. And no need to remove himself from the proceeding?

Dreaming ???

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Any ideas about sending him a message via his associate, remind him of the statements and comments he made, as well as the outcome, include what I attempted to provide him with,

And see what the judge has to say about the matter ? And if after seeing the docs that I had with me on the day, perhaps can reinstate the credibility thing a bit, and perhaps he would re-consider the decisions made on the day. And no need to remove himself from the proceeding?

Nooooooo.

You'd could be seen as attempting to pervert the course of justice and would royally stuff any remaining chance you had for a fair deal.

Appeal or concede through consent orders. Continuing as is just seems like a waste of energy and money if you are using a lawyer.

And no, I have no practical experience with judicial bias. The lawyers' comments seem to indicate something unusual has occurred and might be worth pursuing. Getting hold of a transcript of the hearing and taking it to a lawyer might give a better idea on what you can and should do.

happily dazed

18 May 2017
Gold Coast QLD
Nooooooo.

You'd could be seen as attempting to pervert the course of justice and would royally stuff any remaining chance you had for a fair deal.

Appeal or concede through consent orders. Continuing as is just seems like a waste of energy and money if you are using a lawyer.

And no, I have no practical experience with judicial bias. The lawyers' comments seem to indicate something unusual has occurred and might be worth pursuing. Getting hold of a transcript of the hearing and taking it to a lawyer might give a better idea on what you can and should do.

happily dazed

18 May 2017
Gold Coast QLD
Hmmm ?

I was thinking the course of justice has already been perverted, and that I was going to un-pervert it ?

All I can find about protocol regarding apprehended bias, is that there is no set in stone method to apptoach it,

by me raising the issue, which there is apparently no set procedure or specific way for doing,

is basically just a request I make to ask if the judge thinks he should remove himself from the proceeding, but ultimately it's his call to make,

That's why I thought it might be best to keep it low key, explain the situation as it occurred via the Associate, and see what results from that, rather than making some application and big deal about it, which I doubt would be taken well ?

Anywho, it's a pain in the ass the whole fiasco.

And nah mate I don't have a lawyer,
Wish I did tho :)

Do you mean to appeal the outcome and statements made during the mention,

Or that the judge is bias type of appeal ?

Cheers

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
You may have two possible grounds of appeal:

1. Apprehended bias
2. Error of law - failing to allow you to present relevant evidence/denial of natural justice.

I'm no expert of rules of evidence and a lawyer is what you need if you want to change the outcome. Both of these grounds tend to be technical areas of law and require someone with legal training to properly address.

The clock is ticking in that you may only have 28 days from date of hearing to lodge an appeal.

If you have the names of the two lawyers who made comments to you, ask if they know any lawyers/barristers who do pro bono work. They may find a 'baby' barrister willing to take on this matter pro bono if you can't afford to pay for one.

sammy01

27 September 2015
why did 2 solicitors come up and talk to you about how badly your'e getting screwed over? They are looking for work...

I hate to say it.. But I do think your'e on a hiding to nothing with the whole bias stuff... What you've got to do as a self reper is be squeaky clean. Documents done well in advance... Give them nothing to screw you to the wall over.