NSW Falsely Accused to Police - What to Should I Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Robotix

12 February 2016
On the evening of the 23/3, I was walking a short distance to my lift home. As I was walking, I made conversation with a young lady walking in the same direction.

I asked if she had enjoyed herself and if she was going to the hotel a short distance away. She informed me that she was walking home alone. As I had a lift, I offered her a lift home. She declined the offer and went on her way.

Last night, at a local pub, I was informed by security that they had overheard a group of young men planning to ambush me when I left. Later, I was confiding with a friend about the situation. The girl's mother who I had not made acquaintance with informed me that she had made a complaint to police and that she was hoping that I would be charged for trying to get a young girl into a car.

I have no criminal record and my actions were in no way devious.

What should I do?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Tricky situation, but that depends on your character and your job, because it will be your word against hers, but if you have good friends and of sound character, then I think that should not be a problem. I think police will know how to read people, they are trained for this. Also it depends on the mother, if she has history with police or not, so there are a lot of variables, not easy ....

Sometimes being nice is a negative.

Robotix

12 February 2016
Tricky situation, but that depends on your character and your job, because it will be your word against hers, but if you have good friends and of sound character, then I think that should not be a problem. I think police will know how to read people, they are trained for this. Also it depends on the mother, if she has history with police or not, so there are a lot of variables, not easy ....

Sometimes being nice is a negative.
Thanks Adam1,
Appreciate the advice and have started a file of the event timeline.
I am confident my past good character and integrity will help.
I’ll have to be careful as I have had threats of physical violence and falce claims regarding the event are being spread and exaggerated in the local community.
A friend has informed me that she heard that I attempted to physically drag the girl into the car.
I do hope that there’s some cctv footage that would disprove this.
Thanks again.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'd be tempted to write a letter demanding a retraction else you may sue for defamation.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Thanks Adam1,
I’ll have to be careful as I have had threats of physical violence and falce claims regarding the event are being spread and exaggerated in the local community.
A friend has informed me that she heard that I attempted to physically drag the girl into the car.
Thanks again.
Hi again,

Is there past history with this lady, it seems a bit odd that she is doing all this for no reason at all? unless she is mental, this is one side you can raise.

It just does not seem normal that someone would go to all this for no reason at all, even for an overprotective parent. So if there is history, make sure you mention it with the police if it reaches this way, and I think from what you wrote you should get in touch with the police now as there are threats against you.

Robotix

12 February 2016
hi again,
Is there past history with this lady, it seems a bit odd that she is doing all this for no reason at all? unless she is mental, this is one side you can raise.
It just does not seem normal that someone would go to all this for no reason at all, even for a over protective parent.
So if there is history, make sure you mention it with the police if it reaches this way, and I think from what you wrote you should get in touch with the police now as there are threats against you.
Okay Adam,

Would you recommend to have a legal representative with me or at least a whitness if I did attend the police station for an interview or to make a statement?

The mother made accusations to me publicly and the threats were witnessed by security and were made known to the management of the venue on the evening of 29/03/18

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,

If you are going to the police, I don't think you will need legal rep with you as you are the one who is initiating it. Just to be on the safe side, have a consultation with a lawyer (you can find some give free consult, and some take a fee - even if there is a fee it is worth the investment) and hopefully they will give a better advice on how to proceed, although I am giving you advice here, but it would be better for you to have it from someone who knows the law. (this is what I would do in any situation that would involve the police). To ensure that the process goes clock work, if any mistake/error, you would be left to defend yourself which will be costly and time consuming.

Good luck.

Robotix

12 February 2016
Hi,

If you are going to the police, I don't think you will need legal rep with you as you are the one who is initiating it. Just to be on the safe side, have a consultation with a lawyer (you can find some give free consult, and some take a fee - even if there is a fee it is worth the investment) and hopefully they will give a better advice on how to proceed, although I am giving you advice here, but it would be better for you to have it from someone who knows the law. (this is what I would do in any situation that would involve the police). To ensure that the process goes clock work, if any mistake/error, you would be left to defend yourself which will be costly and time consuming.
Good luck.
I have two friends who are barristers and have sent them emails regarding my situation.
I have declined a request to attend the police station and was not the one who initiated the investigation.

Apparently cctv footage is available and as we speak is waiting for evaluation.
I hope C W is not busy next week.

I will be at the venue and in the area of the incident this afternoon and have a recording device to use that will record background conversations while I am making a private phone call.

I’ll also be speaking to the management of the venue as to obtaining access to cctv footage and security employee numbers of whiteness as well as any other information from locals who have heard rumors.
I have company as well to protect me from any physical violence that has been threatened by the mother and her friends and family.

Luckily I am well known in the community and have a lot of support.

Thanks again for the help.

factstory???

5 March 2019
Thanks Adam1,
Thanks again.

I think it would be a great injustice where it is the word of one against the other for Police to charge. To protect against false claims n injustice police should have no powers to charge unless there is hard evidence. Without physical evidence or other independent witnesses how will the police know the truth? Do they have a crystal ball? If the police guess it n make the wrong call n charge then that in itself procedure is a bad sentence in the community even before it goes to court.