VIC False Reports That Caused the Confiscation of Passport - Options?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Srikanth

31 December 2016
Hi,

I got married in India and got divorced in Australia when she refused to join me in Australia. Just before 1 month of the divorce grant, my wife filed 3 false cases (dowry harassment, domestic violence) against me and my parents in India and there was a Lookout (L.O.C) Notice at all the Indian airports to seize my passport and remand me to the local police station whenever I enter India. FYI, investigation was still in progress when this was issued.

A week back, I travelled to India and the Indian immigration authority has seized both my Australian passport & cancelled Indian passport saying there was a lookout on me. I was taken straight to the local police station and got released next day on personal bond, however, the passports were handed over to the local court.

I have appointed a Indian lawyer to get back my passports ASAP but not sure how long it would take for me to get back my passports. I need to get back to work in Australia during Jan 2nd week and would like to hear what kind of assistance I can seek from Australian legal system to bail me out of this situation. Any pointers or help in this matter would be highly appreciated and happy to pay for the services as well.

Many thanks

Hayder Shkara

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 January 2017
Sydney, NSW
www.neatlaw.com.au
Not sure what the courts or legal system will be able to do to help you out in this situation. Sounds like an Indian Jurisdictional issue.