QLD Failure to meet an ordered deadline

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cairns123

16 January 2018
Thankyou for your time.

What happens if the other party lawyers don’t file something in the timeframe we have been ordered to file something?

Is there anything I do? It’s their case outline, chronology and things being relied on for trial.

Lennon

11 September 2014
My ex's lawyers filed those documents 10 days late. My barrister asked the judge not to admit them into evidence and for my case to proceed undefended. The judge said he would not do that, but he would give us an adjournment of the final hearing if I felt I was prejudiced by the late filing.

Of course I didn't want to delay the final hearing, and the judge knew that. So, nothing happened (although FWIW they looked bad for having filed late, when I had filed on time even though I was self-repping).

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If your case is hurt by the late lodgement as it gives you no time to prepare, then do as Lennon did, and if judge asks if you want to delay you say yes and you want a costs order (if using a lawyer).

Cairns123

16 January 2018
Thank you Lennon, Rod,
Doesn’t really matter to me just frustrating is all.
I appreciate the insight though
Enjoy your long weekend