WA Facebook Admin Responsibility - Can They Get Sued?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mitz

23 March 2020
Hi,

Hoping you can solve a question for me about a Facebook issue.

My Daughter started a Community Group several years ago and is Admin along with several close friends and her husband. The issue at the moment surrounds the Covid-19 virus. A couple of the group's members are not happy with some of the posts that have been allowed as some of them have proved to be false or misleading information.

These unhappy people have said that my Daughter and other Admins could be sued for allowing these misleading/false links to be posted. The trouble is the Admins know nothing more about this virus than their average group member and with Family Commitment, Work Commitment, etc., they don't have the time to research every single link and word of mouth information before allowing the post. Is this something the Admins are responsible for?

Thanks,

Atticus

6 February 2019
I have noticed quite a few FB groups just posting warnings about NOT posting anything related to Covid -19, under threat of the member being removed from the group.... More about trying to keep the groups on topic rather than being sued I think.. Maybe your daughter should consider doing the same

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Your daughter has basically nothing to worry about.
But if she (and the others) is short of time generally,
then the smart thing to do is to set the group to moderated posting,
such that the admins have to review every post before it gets published.