NSW EXTREME faulty car bought at VIC auctions

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

zac_2830

15 February 2018
Hi all,

I've read through a few posts on here to try get some answers, but my case is so extreme, i'm not sure what to do.

We recently purchased a car from Melbourne for a reasonable price for what it was. All checks at the auction looked good and mechanically fine.

However, the car finally arrived at my hometown in Newcastle and went straight to mechanics where serious faults with the car will cost in excess of $20k. All issues were un-detectable without being allowed to drive the vehicle (something which the auction yard wouldn't permit).

We're absolutely lost as this was a replacement car from one which was written off by insurance and dont know where or what to do.

Not only are we not going to be able to transfer it to NSW because of the defects, but it's also a ticking time bomb.

What options do we have under australian law etc..??

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Sorry to tell you, but vehicles bought at auction are "as is" . Your do not have any rights to repair, replacement, refund or compensation for goods bought at auction.

zac_2830

15 February 2018
I feel like i've landed the "tax collector" card in a game of billionaire, this lemon car is just being passed around and i'm the sucker who landed it last.

In all reality, this car should have been sold in the wrecking auction as it's not roadworthy... that's the facts i was presented today at the mechanics.

zac_2830

15 February 2018
Sorry to tell you, but vehicles bought at auction are "as is" . Your do not have any rights to repair, replacement, refund or compensation for goods bought at auction.

Sorry Rob, wanted to thank you for your quick response. I'm just feeling sore and sorry.

zac_2830

15 February 2018
I should mention also that I haven't even transferred the registration over yet, theoretically, it's still in their name right?

Serge Gorval

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
2 November 2015
Sydney
lawtap.com
did you make any enquiries before you purchased the car on which you relied upon ... e.g emails to auctioneer etc ? there could be a potential Misleading and Deceptive case to answer here.