NSW Executor putting estate at risk

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Knightmare

17 February 2016
Major earth works are required to prepare the estate for sale - the executor refuses to even recognise the issues. Advise from the RE agent suggests that selling the property with known issues (which he is obliged to broadcast to prospective buyers) will reduce the sale price.

If the executor refuses to act responsibly what actions can I take? Can he be removed? Can I take out an injunction to prevent sale or modification to the estate until works are completed?

Thanks

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
"Required" in what sense?
Repair is one thing, but doing new capital works, perhaps with a view to greater speculative gain,
is quite another.

Knightmare

17 February 2016
Perhaps you didnt understand the question? If advised that the estate will suffer pecuniary loss as a result of not "value adding", is the executor liable for the difference realised at sale?

Docupedia

7 October 2020
You don’t suffer pecuniary loss as a result of not value adding, you suffer opportunity loss. What Tim appears to be getting at is that the trustee of an estate is required to maintain the estate but there is no requirement to improve it. In fact, doing so can be a risk that is untenable when factoring considerations like the time taken in comparison to the possible (note - not certain) reward. That‘s even assuming that they have been given the power in the will to advance the estate assets. Maybe they refuse to do so because they have no ability to do so.

Reactions: Atticus

Atticus

6 February 2019
It's also the executors neck on the block if the cost of any works (different if it's necessary repairs/maintenance) doesn't translate to an increase in value at sale.

Knightmare

17 February 2016
Well, the RE agent suggests that the works are necessary to achieve full market potential. He's concerned as he must reveal encumbrances to prospective buyers.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
From experience, real estate agents are focused on sale and price - not so much on the nuances of estate law and trustee powers and responsibilities.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Perhaps you didnt understand the question? If advised that the estate will suffer pecuniary loss as a result of not "value adding", is the executor liable for the difference realised at sale?

Perhaps you didn't understand my question.
You certainly have not answered it.

When I asked
"Required in what sense?"
that was because there is no "requirement" to do this sort work prior to sale.
From your word "required", it is not clear just what are the "issues" (of law...) that the executor is refusing to "recognise".

There's a difference between genuine "repair", and "improvement" in the sense of being new capital work.
Improvement suggests spending "now" with a view (a speculation) to a downstream return greater than the "spend" (ie: a capital gain).

Thing is, there is no duty to "do the place up" - at the expense of the estate - with new capital works prior to sale.
For example, you might repair a deck, or paint a pergola, but not build a new one.
Or, you might replace an old and non-working built in barbecue, but not build a whole new outdoor area.

Having regard to the executor's general duty to preserve estate capital,
which can certainly include generally avoiding using estate capital to speculate with,
then I don't see how you could think that the executor was not acting responsibly.
I am pretty comfortable that an executor refusing to use estate corpus funds to do speculative capital works
is in fact acting prudently.

Lastly - of course, if you (the beneficiaries) choose, of your own motion to loan the estate - from your own personal funds - the money for new capital work,
then that's not impossible.
But you'd need to set it up properly... including providing for what you will do if the gain is not realised, or is not as great as you'd like.

Last edited: