VIC Executor of Will - Am I Entitled to Stay at Estate?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

kcc

8 April 2017
My husband passed away and his son is the executor of will. His son did not talk to him since he made the will 8 years ago. My husband had told anyone he will not leave anything to his son verbally. I am his legal wife and been married for 10 years.

My husband had a house and only had his name on it. His son now tried to kick me out of the house.

Am I entitled to staying at the house? Can I stay at the house until the court settlement? I have no money and nowhere to go. Is there any legal right preventing him to kick me out of the house?

Can I get family provision claim that stopping him to kick me out of deceased's house or until the finalisation of the claim? I have nowhere to go or afford to rent a place.

Thanks

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,
Based on the information provided it sounds like you can apply for family provision. You could probably place a caveat on the property to prevent sale out from under you. After 10 years of marriage you should have an interest in the property which should enable you to put the caveat in place. I would speak to a lawyer to have your interest protected and make sure you are really getting what you should be entitled to.