NSW Excessive Behaviour By Police?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
9 June 2016
A friend of mine was arrested outside a nightclub.

Here is the gist of it: He failed to leave the vicinity of the nightclub and was heavily intoxicated, and was asked to leave by the owner. He left the inside of the premises but then continued to protest outside despite being asked to leave by the owner again and police who had been inspecting the club at the time.

It is alleged that my friend used threatening language in a public place. He then was pushed by a police officer. Then was arrested by police in which a resist and assault of police officer allegedly took place. The police were pretty forceful and my friend ended up with a number of cuts and grazes. Witness claims to have seen the police kicking him while on the ground and being excessive in general.

He has never been in legal trouble before and has a pretty respectable background.

What sort of help would you have for him?

Mackaygirl33

9 June 2016
Go and see a lawyer. If there is evidence of excessive force being used then he could have a case. I posted about something similar happening to my partner. You need to get as much evidence as possible and as good of a lawyer as you can afford, because the police will assume he will plead guilty just to take the easy way out. If there is evidence of them using excessive force then your lawyer can make submissions before it goes to court again and they may reassess the charge. Definitely get a lawyer and start making enquiries for any CCTV footage before it becomes "unavailable". Also find out if there were any witnesses.