VIC Ex Not Complying with Court Orders - Contravention Order?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
1 June 2019
Hi all,

My ex was ordered to transfer his interest in the property I live into me, but has not complied after a few years. It was a nasty break up and I have nothing to do with my ex nor do I want to. Is my best bet to apply for a contravention order?

Thanks

sammy01

27 September 2015
You need to get onto this asap. At some point, you're gonna want to sell the thing. As it stands the ex is still a legal owner, so, for example, you died, he would have a claim on the property. You should go back to the solicitor who helped with gaining the original orders and take their advice.

1 June 2019
Thanks, I didn't have a solicitor, I couldn't afford one, I fought the case myself. The ex didn't really have a case then, not sure that he has one now, I just need some pointers as to what action to take now.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I just need some pointers as to what action to take now.
First thing is to confirm that he is aware of his obligation to transfer his interest and that he is in breach of the order... To do that you send him a letter with a copy of the order, outlining what part of the order he is in breach of... Notify him in the letter that he has xxx number of days/weeks to comply or you will be seeking enforcement through the court plus all legal and courts costs involved..

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
FYI a court can order the titles office to make the change.

Issue is whether the ex is on the mortgage.

1 June 2019
FYI a court can order the titles office to make the change.

Issue is whether the ex is on the mortgage.
Thanks. The order was for ex to make arrangements to transfer the title to me, and for me to ask the bank to refinance in my name only. One of the orders was for me to indemnify ex from mortgage repayments, which I have done.

Will the titles office accept the order as is given that ex has refused to comply? I'd really like to avoid you g back to court if possible.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Will the titles office accept the order as is given that ex has refused to comply?

Unlikely. Suspect you need another court order directed to the titles office.

And ask for a costs order at the same time if you have any costs, even if only court fees. If you need help let me know and I'll see if I can arrange costs at scale rates.