VIC Ex Let 14-Year-Old Drink Alcohol - Legal Recourse?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
18 January 2017
My ex-husband allowed our 14-year-old daughter to have 2 drinks of alcohol on NYE and then pretty much left her unsupervised while she proceeded to help herself to more. He says she has it in her head that's what she wanted to do so saying no wasn't an option.

Can I legally do anything about it under family law? I am beyond furious.

Thanks

Hayder Shkara

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 January 2017
Sydney, NSW
www.neatlaw.com.au
Where were they when this occurred?

If on a private premises, parents can give minors alcohol as long as they're not intoxicated. Legally it will be hard to enforce anything. Have you got a parenting plan or court orders in place?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Forget legal avenues... But you should tell him in writing that you don't agree. You can also have a chat with the child.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
It is better to have occurred under supervision than with peers in a dimly lit isolated park.

One drinking occurrence is part of growing up. Only a pattern is a problem.

As parents we all have to accept at some stage a child need to find their own path to responsible adult behaviour. We can and should guide them along the correct path, but occasionally it is not a bad thing for the child to take a small detour and realise for themselves the alternative is not the right path to be on.

Do not take it out on your daughter. Be supportive and explain the consequences that can happen if she has no control of her behaviour. Sounds a like an ideal parenting opportunity, especially as no harm has occurred.

Reactions: Hayder Shkara