QLD Ex husband's ex partner holding on to our deceased son's belongings

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Helen Aitken

29 December 2018
Sounds complicated!

It is.

My son lived with his Dad and his step mother (not married, just partners). My son, hated his step mother with a vengenance.

My son took his life in 2016 aged 22. At the time my ex and his partner were separated. His father and I had been separated 10 years.

In the property split so far my exes partner has held onto my son's ashes for two years whilst waiting on a property settlement causing untold grief to me.

Sean's ashes were returned to my ex (Sean's Dad) on day 1 of property settlement after months and months of negotiating. Basically Sean's ashes were eventually slammed down on a table - here you go. Sean's dad was so distraught he couldn't pay attention to rest of proceedings.

The property settlement is complete as far as court is concerned.

However, I would like Sean's belongings, photographs, the family collection of photographs, the lock of hair from Sean (from his death bed), and family things I had given Sean returned to me.

The woman who has all these things refuses to return.

Where should I turn to? Any help most appreciated.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Property settlement is done.... I think the only option available to you is invite her to mediation.... Maybe a professional mediator can raise some sense of empathy in her. Or at least sow a seed that may eventually bear fruit... Being combative or openly hostile (regardless of how warranted you may feel it is), is not going to get what you want unfortunately

Atticus

6 February 2019
The property settlement is complete as far as court is concerned.

So this comment has me wondering..... Are there final orders regarding property settlement? If so were your sons belongings or personal items actually mentioned in the order as things that are to be handed over to your ex husband?

If so, then HE should be able to seek enforcement of the order via the court, & seek any court or legal costs in doing so..