NSW Ex-employer Hacking into Facebook Account - Illegal Under Privacy Laws?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Denise1

18 February 2016
I have found out that my ex-employer has hacked into my Facebook page, so I created a new one and he has hacked into this as well. It must be illegal for him to do this under privacy laws, surely?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
  1. Probably not hacked.
    Your employer might have used a screen you have left open, or
    has used logging software on their own computers to track what you do.

2. What's happened to make you think so?

3. You may find this thread helpful

Reactions: Timnuts
S

Sophea

Further to Tim' Ws comments... if they have, in fact hacked into your account, they have committed an offence. It is illegal to access someone's social media profile using their password or login deets without their permission.

Denise1

18 February 2016
  1. Probably not hacked.
    Your employer might have used a screen you have left open, or
    has used logging software on their own computers to track what you do.

2. What's happened to make you think so?

3. You may find this thread helpful
Hi Tim

It's not on a work computer as I don't work for him and haven't for over six months, it's my own private page and computer at home. He has sent me a solicitor's letter twice stating that he believes what I am posting on FB is about him, (it's not) so after I received the first letter, I made another page as it was creepy that he was doing this, and then I received another letter stating that he has had my "new" page monitored and that I have put status up there that pertain to him. Again they are not, so not sure what I can do. I feel very violated.

Timnuts

7 April 2016
Is there an Adelaide-based lawyer who would like to represent me and my new partner for a massive privacy breach on multiple occasions by both of our ex-partners?

GPS tracking
Voice recordings
Third party handover of information
Key loggers
Bank details and my gov
Over the phone voice recordings between children

Please, we would like some help, and also have in writing a written letter from the magistrates court a summary of offences he declares all right in front of the judge.