QLD Ex Doesn't Follow Verbal Agreement on My Visitation Rights - Options?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
20 September 2015
Hi, I have a verbal agreement that I see my son on Sundays and ring on Thursday nights. There are no violence issues or problems and never has been. It is also stated that I have to know someone for at least 6 months for me to meet them with my son even if it's a friend to go to a theme park with. Now she wants to know who they are and names, etc.

I'm not happy with this and want to know what my visitation rights are under Family Law as I can't find anything online. All I want to do is spend time with my son and help him get better social skills with other kids as he's only 7. Can anyone help me please?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do you want to go down the route of obtaining formal access? Have you had a property split yet?

As parents you each have equal rights. Maybe suggest that she does the same thing and gives you names and addresses of everyone in contact with your son as you are as equally as concerned as she is with your son's welfare. Do you want more access to your son? You might want to start dropping hints about sleep overs etc?

Likely to get all messy and your ex probably knows this. BTW, do you have a recent girlfriend that your ex has just found out about? Just wondering why there has been a change at her end.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Put simply?

It's none of your ex's business what your child does when spending time with you, nor is it your ex's business who the child is around when spending time with you. If you want to introduce the child to a person two minutes after you meet someone, that has nothing to do with your ex.

I would pursue mediation and get a formal agreement in place, and I would be leaving your ex's control clauses out of it.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Oh, and that's the line the court takes on meddling parents as well.