VIC Ex Deposited Money for Car Loan - Should I Sell the Car?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

GlennSaigon

25 February 2016
I have recently broken up with my girlfriend after a period of 6 months and yes we lived together.

In December, she paid a deposit for a car. I did not know at the time, she put down $5000. If I had known, then I wouldn't have gone through with the loan application. Now she wants the $5000 back.

I already gave her $2000 for her to move out but she changed her mind. I am not wealthy enough to just get $5000 quickly but after the car loan has been paid in full. Should I sell the car and return her money? Can I do this and what about the $2000 I gave her in January?

Any help would be great.

S

Sophea

Hi Glenn,

Your post is a little unclear. Can you please explain what loan you are talking about. Who took out the loan? What is the loan for? And where does the deposit fit in?

As regards the $2000, if you did not agree that it was a loan of $2000 when you gave it to her, and unless you can prove this then I don't like your chances of making a legal claim to get it back off her if she refuses to repay it out of the goodness of her heart.