QLD Evidence of Who the Law Applies to?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Within Queensland, loosely:
- Section 2 of the Constitution Act 1867 allows the government to make laws for the "peace welfare and good government of the colony in all cases whatsoever".

- Section 11A of the Constitution Act 1867 provides that the Governor is the Queen's representative in Queensland.

- The Constitution of Queensland 2001 sets out various functions; including the manner in which the Legislative Assembly operates, jurisdiction of the Supreme and District Court, and local government.

- Each Act will state within it what and to whom it is applicable.

- All laws in Queensland are made by one of two ways:

(1) By an Act of Parliament, which is a where a Bill passes through the Legislative Assembly and is voted on, and then receives Royal assent from the Governor; or

(2) By power of delegation in an Act of Parliament for certain reserved matters (eg: local Council by-laws).

So, all laws in Queensland are only laws by assent of the Queen. Therefore, any validly passed Act in Queensland has whatever application it says it does; which is effectively on the Queen's say so.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do you have any particular Acts in mind?

Many Acts refer to person/s. The common law definition of person will hold a person to be a human being of sound mind.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Why do we continue to indulge this person?

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Define 'Person'
You're not serious are you?

I hope you're not considering pulling this type of stuff in a proceeding you may have coming up - It'll get you nowhere, quickly.

cuttyshatface

24 May 2017
Queensland
hope
speaker.png
/hoʊp/ (say hohp)

noun 1. expectation of something desired; desire accompanied by expectation.

Why would you have hope in anything that I do?

Please respond to the request before you. Define 'person'

and a reason why you would have hope in anything I do is my next question.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
hope
speaker.png
/hoʊp/ (say hohp)

noun 1. expectation of something desired; desire accompanied by expectation.

Why would you have hope in anything that I do?

Please respond to the request before you. Define 'person'

and a reason why you would have hope in anything I do is my next question.
You should raise these types of queries with the magistrate/judge in your proceedings and report back to us on how you go.

cuttyshatface

24 May 2017
Queensland
Do you have any particular Acts in mind?

Many Acts refer to person/s. The common law definition of person will hold a person to be a human being of sound mind.
Thank you for your response, may you please indicate where I can find the common law definition?