SA Estate That are Exempt from Will?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

peter2peter

14 October 2016
Is anything transferred prior to death exempt from the will?

I think it is true, but where I can find the code online?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok I'll play - You posted at 4pm Friday and because you didn't get an answer in 24 hours you start being rude.

Oh BTW, there is a forum specifically for answers relating to wills. So you posted in the wrong section.

Now I have limited experience / knowledge. But that is because this is a family law forum not a wills forum. Oh, I've mentioned that already.

So - I'd imagine the answer is nope. But as is the case in law, there is always a maybe.

So nope - So for example, from my experience. Dad writes a $10 000 cheque on his deathbed and gives it to the daughter. Not part of the will.

Maybe - Why? Well, daughter and other 2 other siblings then receive $12 000 as the will states that each kid gets a third of the money in a specified account. Now the other kids could dispute the will and make a claim that the first daughter should receive less because she has already picked up a $10 000 present from dad... Who would win? Hard to say.

Now how to give you help? You need to see a lawyer for advice, but you can get some general info via the forum. Well given the scant information you have provided, I reckon the answer is definitely maybe - kind of sorta...or give some more details and do so with some manners and you'll likely get an answer.

peter2peter

14 October 2016
Ok I'll play - You posted at 4pm Friday and because you didn't get an answer in 24 hours you start being rude.

Oh BTW, there is a forum specifically for answers relating to wills. So you posted in the wrong section.

Now I have limited experience / knowledge. But that is because this is a family law forum not a wills forum. Oh, I've mentioned that already.

So - I'd imagine the answer is nope. But as is the case in law, there is always a maybe.

So nope - So for example, from my experience. Dad writes a $10 000 cheque on his deathbed and gives it to the daughter. Not part of the will.

Maybe - Why? Well, daughter and other 2 other siblings then receive $12 000 as the will states that each kid gets a third of the money in a specified account. Now the other kids could dispute the will and make a claim that the first daughter should receive less because she has already picked up a $10 000 present from dad... Who would win? Hard to say.

Now how to give you help? You need to see a lawyer for advice, but you can get some general info via the forum. Well given the scant information you have provided, I reckon the answer is definitely maybe - kind of sorta...or give some more details and do so with some manners and you'll likely get an answer.

The law should as be clear as 2+2.

The Australia and America systems are a big joke. That's why they are falling as fast.

In year 2000, The GDP of USA is almost 8 times bigger than china. The GDP of America was 31% of the world. China was 4%. Now China has a bigger buying power than America.

If USA is continue to fall, it will get nothing left to fall anymore. If you go to the city center of any big cities in Australia, you know that Australia could be a part of China in 20 years.

Today, the American, Australian law and political system are completely idiotic.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Take your tablets, and loosen your tin foil hat, friend.