VIC Entitled to Request Child Support Receipts from Ex?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

rsjaus

25 June 2015
Hi,

Previously, I transferred child support monthly into my ex-wife's bank account. Outside of my bank statements, there is no evidence that this is for child support, date covered and what it is for. This was highlighted when I did my recent tax return.

Due to legal and taxation purposes, I have requested my ex-partner provide a receipt with this information which she has declined to do.

Is anyone aware if there is a requirement on her behalf to do this, or if I am entitled to receive this?

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
I don't think she is required or that you are entitled to receive the information from her. You should keep your own records. At the very least, a notebook with details such as date, to whom you paid, amount and for what purpose. If the ATO were to audit you then they could ask her what the payment were for and from who.

If she is denying that you have paid child support, you will have your records.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I'd check to make sure you're paying at least the right amount. CSA have an online estimator. Look, I would not worry too much... Possibly the ex is being dodgy with Centrelink. Not your problem. But CSA only charges from the time of application. So if she was to go to child support and ask them to collect - you would not have any back pay...

Or tell her that no payment until she provides a receipt for the last payment....

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Due to legal and taxation purposes ...

What legal reason would you have? You would have email/txt telling her what you are paying. You have bank statements confirming payments.

Sounds irregular to need anything else.

Agree with the above comments, she does not need to send receipts to you.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I reckon it is important that it is clear that the intention of the payments is child support. You don't want her to have grounds to argue that you have capacity to pay spousal maintenance...

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
The only certain way around it for the future is to do it through CSA.

If it came down to his word against hers then there are ways to track payments.