VIC Employment Law - Who Should Pay for Pre-Employment Medicals & Training?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dave1456

28 September 2015
Hi everyone,

I have been perusing through the job adverts on Seek this weekend hoping to find something of interest.

I noticed that one company suggested in their advertisements that "Successful applicants will need to undertake pre-employment, drug and alcohol screening and dangerous goods training at their own expense, prior to commencing training."

I found this unusual to expect a successful applicant to do this where costs are associated with the recruitment process and to pay for their own training.

My question! Is this legal under Employment Law for a recruitment agency or a business to pass on costs associated with pre-employment medicals and training to successful applicants?

Kind Regards

Therese

11 October 2015
Hi Dave1456,

I agree it seems a little odd for them to expect training to be done at your own expense.

It is my understanding that an Modern Awards or Enterprise Agreements will set out the legal requirements in regards to training etc

See Agreements - Awards and agreements - Fair Work Ombudsman and Awards - Fair Work Ombudsman.

In regards to pre-employment training or checks it is my understanding that there is no legislative requirement, despite it being common for the employer to pay.

For more information you may wish to contact Fair Work Australia.