LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC Employment Law - Should New Position be Given to Casual Employee?

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by RachaelB73, 30 July 2016.

1. RachaelB73

RachaelB73 Member

I am a permanent full time employee for a company that I have worked for approximately 4 1/2 years. Three new casual staff have been hired on within the last 6 months to do the same sort of work that I have been employed to do.

In the last 2 months, the workload has decreased quite dramatically and another position in the factory became available. I wasn't even offered that position, which I'm quite capable of doing, but it was offered to one of the casual employees who has only worked at the company for approximately 4 months. Now they are telling me that my hours will have to be reduced or termination of employment.

Should I have been offered that position before the casual employee under employment law?

2. Matthew Lynch

Matthew Lynch Lawyer

It sounds like they are trying to get rid of you unfairly. Is the position that was offered to the other casual a permanent position?

3. RachaelB73

RachaelB73 Member

The position is a permanent position

4. Matthew Lynch

Matthew Lynch Lawyer

Rachael

Subject to any additional information you provide, it appears to me that your employer has taken adverse action against you, by threatening dismissal unless you accept a reduction in hours.

I am willing to speak with you initially for free to discuss your options moving forward to protect your interests if you wish.

You can request a telephone conference with me through this link: Matthew Lynch - Sydney, NSW - LawTap - Find a Lawyer & Book Online Instantly.