VIC Employment Law - Should New Position be Given to Casual Employee?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

RachaelB73

29 July 2016
I am a permanent full time employee for a company that I have worked for approximately 4 1/2 years. Three new casual staff have been hired on within the last 6 months to do the same sort of work that I have been employed to do.

In the last 2 months, the workload has decreased quite dramatically and another position in the factory became available. I wasn't even offered that position, which I'm quite capable of doing, but it was offered to one of the casual employees who has only worked at the company for approximately 4 months. Now they are telling me that my hours will have to be reduced or termination of employment.

Should I have been offered that position before the casual employee under employment law?

Matthew Lynch

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
18 July 2016
Sydney
lawtap.com
Rachael

Subject to any additional information you provide, it appears to me that your employer has taken adverse action against you, by threatening dismissal unless you accept a reduction in hours.

I am willing to speak with you initially for free to discuss your options moving forward to protect your interests if you wish.

You can request a telephone conference with me through this link: Matthew Lynch - Sydney, NSW - LawTap - Find a Lawyer & Book Online Instantly.