QLD Employment law - Are Employer's Practices Legal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Robert Brook

6 February 2018
Good afternoon.

I work as a heavy machinery operator on coal seam gas for the last 5 years. I work a 2-week on 1-week off roster doing 12 hour days. For the last 5 years, I have been employed as a casual with no personal or holiday leave.

Also the company I was employed by was issued 10 hours per day wet day stand down from the company we sub contracted to. However, as employees we were only given 6 hours & my employer kept the other 4 hours on every wet day.

Please help if these practices are legal under employment law & if I should pursue the matter further.

Regards

Clancy

6 April 2016
Ok so the company you subcontracted for is basically your employers customer rite? So whatever payment arrangement they have is between them. The payment arrangement you have is between you and your employer. The customer may feel your employer misrepresented labor costs to them, but that is an offense suffered by the customer, not you.

There are laws coming out regarding how long a worker can remain casual, but i am not sure which states have taken it on board yet, but certainly worth looking up?

Robert Brook

6 February 2018
Ok so the company you subcontracted for is basically your employers customer rite? So whatever payment arrangement they have is between them. The payment arrangement you have is between you and your employer. The customer may feel your employer misrepresented labor costs to them, but that is an offense suffered by the customer, not you.

There are laws coming out regarding how long a worker can remain casual, but i am not sure which states have taken it on board yet, but certainly worth looking up?
Cheers