NSW Employment Contract - Can Restrictive Covenant be Enforced?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

BKG

27 April 2016
In my employment contract (1 year, ends in March 2017), it says "Restrictive Covenant. At the expiration of employment with "Blah Blah" Physiotherapy, the Physiotherapist may not be involved in any way with a physiotherapy practice, at any time within a period of 6 months within a radius of twenty (20) kilometres from any place at which Clinics of "Blah Blah" Physiotherapy operate, without the express agreement of the Directors of "Blah Blah" Physiotherapy".

Can this actually be enforced? I've been told different things about whether it can or not. Other Physios have left and joined other practices in the region. I wish to leave the practice but don't want to move towns.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Are you actual PAYG employee?

Serge Gorval

2 November 2015
Sydney
lawtap.com
Generally speaking, restrictive covenants are against public interests. Often times contracts incorporate what is called a cascading restraint that drops in severity. Can you advise of the specific wording in the contract ?

Best

BKG

27 April 2016
Generally speaking, restrictive covenants are against public interests. Often times contracts incorporate what is called a cascading restraint that drops in severity. Can you advise of the specific wording in the contract ?

Best
Those are the exact words. I only changed the company name.

Serge Gorval

2 November 2015
Sydney
lawtap.com
Imagine you were employed for 1 month since march this year. 6 month restraint on 20 kms seems excessive.

What is your role, physiotherapist ? How big is the town? How many clinics?

In my experience, this would not be one that I'd suggest to enforce.

BKG

27 April 2016
Imagine you were employed for 1 month since march this year. 6 month restraint on 20 kms seems excessive.

What is your role, physiotherapist ? How big is the town? How many clinics?

In my experience, this would not be one that I'd suggest to enforce.

Yep, Physiotherapist. There are 3 clinics, rural city with about 100,000 in area.

Thank you for your help

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
I agree with @Serge Gorval here.

The principal test is one of "reasonableness in all the circumstances".
As a general thing, if the effect of a restraint clause is to limit (what is otherwise fair market) competition,
or to unfairly protect a monopoly in a small or closed market (eg the only physio in the village), or
limits your right to work in the field, or is in some other way unreasonable,
then you may find that the court would hold the restraint of trade clause to be inoperative.

BKG

27 April 2016
I agree with @Serge Gorval here.

The principal test is one of "reasonableness in all the circumstances".
As a general thing, if the effect of a restraint clause is to limit (what is otherwise fair market) competition,
or to unfairly protect a monopoly in a small or closed market (eg the only physio in the village), or
limits your right to work in the field, or is in some other way unreasonable,
then you may find that the court would hold the restraint of trade clause to be inoperative.

Thank you