QLD Employer Won't Pay Me - Who Can Help?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Justhome

30 August 2017
I am an Australian lady and I recently returned to Australia after nearly 17 years away. I took the first job I could get, just as a waitress employed on a casual basis, and worked 2 long shifts, 15 hours in total. I got great feedback on my work. However, the restaurant itself was awful and when I was offered another job I took it.

I informed my first employer right away. I wasn't rude, I wished him all the best and just said I'd been offered other work. I submitted a TFN declaration and my bank details but now more than 3 weeks later I have not been paid.

I have been given excuses like "someone accidentally threw out your details" and "payroll isn't till Thursday" but now I can see he has no intention of paying me.

I submitted a form to the Fair Work Ombudsman last week and still haven't received a call. According to the site my enquiry is "in progress". I don't want to confront the man in person as he seems quite odd and I suspect a drug or alcohol problem. I need to be paid but I won't risk my safety.

My concern is that he will go bankrupt and I will never be paid, I don't want this to keep dragging on. I wish I'd never worked there as it was an extremely unprofessional place and that's why I took another job somewhere else.

Where do I go for help?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You should let the Fair Work Ombudsman complaint run its course. Unfortunately, these things can take some time.