Employer wants me to leave of my own accord (VIC)

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ben A

18 November 2018
Any professional advice much appreciated.

I’ve been charged with a small trafficking charge for controlled substance and have my next appearance in 2 months.

My employer got wind of this and they’ve quietly suggested I find another job and move on.

Should I just accept this as part of the consequences of making a stupid decision or does an employer have to show that the offense itself is somehow linked to the type of work I do. For example if it was a fraud charge I’d understand they do not want to rush having me working in accounts.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Unless your employment contract/award/EA makes specific mention covering this offence, then you do not need to leave employment.

At this stage they have only 'suggested' you leave and taken no action against you.

Goes without saying you made stupid decisions leading to a charge of criminal behaviour.

How easy/difficult it is to pick up another job and the attitude of your workmates will determine what you should do.

Post back here if the employer takes an action against you.

Reactions: Paul Cott

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I like to add is that as long the employer mentioned to you to leave, the decision has been made that you have no future with this company, the only thing is that (As Rod mentioned), there is no time limit to leave, I think you can work out with your employer about the time frame to leave, it would be better for you on the long run.