QLD Employer not giving Restaurant Tips

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mole_bond

13 December 2017
I was working for a fine dinning restaurant as a Casual waiter for my employer since Jan 2017. We used to get our tips weekly, but recently the employer started giving the tips to us Monthly. I was supposed to get my tips on Sunday, and Saturday I gave my resignation letter stating Monday would be my last working day with the company. I was rostered to work on Sunday, but they cancelled me.

I would like to know, what are my legal rights to get the tips for the period I was working.

What legal action can i take, as my employer is not giving a straight forward answer and intending to keep my tips.

Looking forward to hear from. I hope I would get some valuable answers. Its hard earned money, need it. Waiting for the esteemed members to help me get out of this.

Thank you all.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'd be suggesting in writing that unless you are paid in full by Sunday (allows 7 days), then you'll raise a complaint with the Fair Work Commission. The complaint can include the fact they cancelled the Sunday.

I'm not sure you're entitled to the money that quickly but no harm trying. Was your wage paid weekly?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
For the benefit of later readers of this thread,
I'll say that this kind of thing is why hospo workers should join their union.

As to you immediately - if you can show how much you are owed, then you might have a chance via Fair Work.

What say you, @Serge Gorval...?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I second the union advice. Too many people have become complacent and forget or wilfully ignore the important role unions can play. Hospitality employers would seem to one of the sectors that regularly abuse employees rights.