LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Employee Shoved ID in My Face - Is This Assault?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Luvlee, 17 May 2016.

1. Luvlee

Luvlee Active Member

I am employed as a security contractor for a large company. 12 days ago at work, one of the company's employees forcefully pushed their identification card into my face when they were asked to show it. Is this considered common assault?

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Was contact made to your face? Were you afraid they were going to hit you?

If yes, are you looking at this from a criminal assault or civil battery viewpoint?

3. Luvlee

Luvlee Active Member

Yes, Rod, he made contact with my face. As for me being scared that he was going to hit, I'd have to say no. It was totally unexpected but it has made me feel scared since.

It is looking like his company is going to let him get away with it and I believe that he and others will believe it's ok to assault me because nothing will happen to them

4. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

It is common assault and possibly intimidation, both crimes in NSW. Trouble will be getting police to take any action as they may consider this to be trivial.

You also have the option of initiating civil action for 'battery'. You do not need police to do this but you may need the assistance of a lawyer.

5. Luvlee

Luvlee Active Member

Thank you Rod,

I was concerned that the police wouldn't get involved

6. Ponala

Ponala Well-Known Member

Most Police jurisdictions in Australia have a policy that if an assault is of a minor nature and both parties known to each other, then Police take no action and recommend you seek your own prosecution or sue civilly.