NSW Employee Shoved ID in My Face - Is This Assault?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Luvlee

31 March 2015
I am employed as a security contractor for a large company. 12 days ago at work, one of the company's employees forcefully pushed their identification card into my face when they were asked to show it. Is this considered common assault?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Was contact made to your face? Were you afraid they were going to hit you?

If yes, are you looking at this from a criminal assault or civil battery viewpoint?

Luvlee

31 March 2015
Yes, Rod, he made contact with my face. As for me being scared that he was going to hit, I'd have to say no. It was totally unexpected but it has made me feel scared since.

It is looking like his company is going to let him get away with it and I believe that he and others will believe it's ok to assault me because nothing will happen to them

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
It is common assault and possibly intimidation, both crimes in NSW. Trouble will be getting police to take any action as they may consider this to be trivial.

You also have the option of initiating civil action for 'battery'. You do not need police to do this but you may need the assistance of a lawyer.

Luvlee

31 March 2015
It is common assault and possibly intimidation, both crimes in NSW. Trouble will be getting police to take any action as they may consider this to be trivial.

You also have the option of initiating civil action for 'battery'. You do not need police to do this but you may need the assistance of a lawyer.

Thank you Rod,

I was concerned that the police wouldn't get involved

Ponala

10 February 2015
Most Police jurisdictions in Australia have a policy that if an assault is of a minor nature and both parties known to each other, then Police take no action and recommend you seek your own prosecution or sue civilly.