SA Dun & Bradstreet Debt - Not My Debt

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

squirrel333

22 August 2014
I have received several letters from Dun & Bradstreet hassling me for a debt from Telstra.
I advised Telstra back in late 2016 that the bills you are sending me are not mine.

I do not have a Telstra account as I am with another Telco.

I have had my identity stolen and this is obviously a continuation of that issue.

I have sent a CEASE & DESIST letter to Dun & Bradstreet but they have ignored this.

Where do I go now?

I can not afford a lawyer.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Did your cease and desist letter state that you dispute the debt? If not, you need to do that and ask them to provide proof of indebtedness.

Next, if your identity was stolen, did you report it to the police? If yes, tell Dun and Bradstreet and give them the police complaint number. If not, why not? Failing to report it won't support your claim the debt is not yours.

If, after all that, they still persist then make a complaint to their internal dispute resolution (IDR) section. Should that fail, you can take the matter to their external dispute resolution (EDR) provider. They must tell you who that is as part of any negative IDR outcome, and you must go through IDR before you can go to the external provider. Both IDR and EDR are free for you, EDR decisions will be binding on D&B (but not you) and all collection activity should cease while it is being dealt with in dispute resolution.

squirrel333

22 August 2014
Did your cease and desist letter state that you dispute the debt? If not, you need to do that and ask them to provide proof of indebtedness.

Next, if your identity was stolen, did you report it to the police? If yes, tell Dun and Bradstreet and give them the police complaint number. If not, why not? Failing to report it won't support your claim the debt is not yours.

If, after all that, they still persist then make a complaint to their internal dispute resolution (IDR) section. Should that fail, you can take the matter to their external dispute resolution (EDR) provider. They must tell you who that is as part of any negative IDR outcome, and you must go through IDR before you can go to the external provider. Both IDR and EDR are free for you, EDR decisions will be binding on D&B (but not you) and all collection activity should cease while it is being dealt with in dispute resolution.

Thanks Rob

Yes my cease and desist letter state the I dispute the debt.
Yes I reported it to the police, this has been going on with other creditors for over two years now.

I will fill out a report to their dispute section now, thanks!