QLD Drug possession

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ezza

12 February 2021
My son was caught with 15 grams of meth and 15000 cash first time offender 21 years old. We are aware it will more than likely be a jail term but does anyone know what penalties he’s looking at. Please don’t comment if you are going to be judgemental he’s made a big mistake and prepared to own it.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Here you've got to look at the Drugs Misuse Act and Drugs Misuse Regulation. The potential penalties depend on what he is charged with: usually either 'possession', 'supply', or 'trafficking'.
If it's possession: Between 2.0g and 200.0g of methylamphetamine - maximum penalty of 25 years (20 years if it is established they are a 'drug dependent person').
If it's supply: depends on the circumstances (maximum penalties range from 15 years to life).
If it's trafficking: maximum penalty is 25 years.

You can get some general information here: Drug Offences and Penalties in Queensland

There may be other charges involved as well.

4 November 2021
Over 10 years ago i was charged for having a few marijuana seeds in pots they hadent sprouted yet can you tell me if this is a charge that will stay on my record it was a first offence.i am applying for a police check for a visa to bring my girl friend from thailand to australia

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
The price of peace of mind is about a hundred dollars.
Do one of those online checks... on yourself.
And make an appointment to see a solicitor to get a BFA drawn up.