NSW Did Police Drop the Charges?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dip76

23 January 2018
Hi,

I was recently being charged with malicious damage following a incident of that person damaging my car and while asking for his details. He simply ignored me and ran off. On his way out, I slapped his driver side mirror which resulted of it getting damaged.

That person was later found and fined with points for negligent driving, but police charged me for his damage. However when I gave my statement while I called the police, I admitted to slapping his mirror from the beginning (being truthful).

After a week of negotiation, I paid the person for his repair, and the police told me to shred the court attendance notice and that I did not need to attend court.

Does that mean that the charge has been dropped? Now I am wondering if there will be a some sort of record which will haunt me in different occasions in future...

Thanks

sammy01

27 September 2015
Not likely... A conviction appears on a criminal history check, so I can't think of any occasions where a charged that was dropped would impact you down the track.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
The price of peace of mind is about fifty dollars
Do one of those online criminal history checks on yourself

Reactions: dip76

dip76

23 January 2018
The price of peace of mind is about fifty dollars
Do one of those online criminal history checks on yourself

What am I likely to find if I do a police check, given my circumstances? Is there a way to clear it if anything is found?

My lawyer said me to go to the local court on the given court date and find out if the charges have been dropped or not.

Do I still need to go to court and find out about it?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
my lawyer said me to go to the local court on the given court date and find out actually if the charges dropped or not.

do i still need to go to court and find out about it ?
If you already have a lawyer, then you should take their advice.