VIC Driving while suspended

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Raja Singh

10 August 2017
Hello. I was caught driving my car while my licence was suspended and had to go to court after 4 months. I pled guilty and as I'm an international student and this was my first offence of such nature, the judge let me go with only a fine of $700. I'm currently waiting for the fine to arrive in my letter box but while I do so, can somebody please let me know what happens next? I mean, can I drive again? I don't want to get in trouble again so I just want to confirm if I'm eligible to drive again or not, or do the 7 demerit points I got would stay on my licence for a bit more time? The judge told me that he won't do anything to my licence but would let me go with just a fine. Please tell me because I need to gather money from somewhere to buy a car and start working again as I've been sitting idle for 4 months now and I'm broke. Thank you!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
It's very simple - Fine or no fine, you can't drive until you have a licence.
Speak to VicRoads about getting the appropriate licence.
Do not rely on an International Drivers Permit.

Raja Singh

10 August 2017
It's very simple - Fine or no fine, you can't drive until you have a licence.
Speak to VicRoads about getting the appropriate licence.
Do not rely on an International Drivers Permit.
But if an international driver's permit let's me drive without a problem, why would I need to get a Victorian? I've heard if you don't clear the test the first time, they also cancel your intentional one and you can't drive at all. On their website too, it says if you're from one of their listed countries and on a temporary visa (which I am), you don't need to get a Victorian. Now tell me why should I get one then? All I need to know is that after a wait of 4 months and a court hearing, does my licence still carry those demerit points or not. If not, it'd be great coz I can drive again. If yes, only then I'd apply for a Victorian.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Walk to vic roads and ask them... just ask. They will tell you if you are eligible to drive. That is your only and best option. And dont argue if they tell you something you dont want to hear

Raja Singh

10 August 2017
Walk to vic roads and ask them... just ask. They will tell you if you are eligible to drive. That is your only and best option. And dont argue if they tell you something you dont want to hear
OK cool. I going there today anyway. Cheers!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
But if an international driver's permit let's me drive without a problem, why would I need to get a Victorian? I've heard if you don't clear the test the first time, they also cancel your intentional one and you can't drive at all. On their website too, it says if you're from one of their listed countries and on a temporary visa (which I am), you don't need to get a Victorian. Now tell me why should I get one then? All I need to know is that after a wait of 4 months and a court hearing, does my licence still carry those demerit points or not. If not, it'd be great coz I can drive again. If yes, only then I'd apply for a Victorian.
Was it your IDP or your local licence that was suspended?
In any event, IDPs do not operate to defeat a suspension or disqualification on a local licence.
Speak to VicRoads and get information specific to your case.

Bear in mind that a second count of driving while suspended (or a new offence of driving while unlicensed)
could place your Student Visa at risk.

Raja Singh

10 August 2017
Was it your IDP or your local licence that was suspended?
In any event, IDPs do not operate to defeat a suspension or disqualification on a local licence.
Speak to VicRoads and get information specific to your case.

Bear in mind that a second count of driving while suspended (or a new offence of driving while unlicensed)
could place your Student Visa at risk.
Alright I'm on my way to vicroads now. Thanks for the info, man. Have a good one!