NSW Domestic Violence Case - Conflict of Interest due to Lawyer's Family?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dandy lioness

23 July 2015
I just found out that a friend who l have been confiding in for 2 1/2 years about domestic violence against my daughter and l from my ex is the daughter of the lawyer who has been helping my ex. I have been to their house and cried on the couch with her and her mum (his wife)! My friend was even going to write an affidavit to support me.

My ex now knows the situation and wants to keep going in the family court. His lawyer says it's not a conflict of interest even though his family are witnesses against my ex (his client).

Thoughts?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I'm of the view that if there is a conflict of interest, it is of detriment to your ex, not you, and thus should be his issue to have addressed, not yours. His solicitor still has a duty to his client to represent him to the best of his capacity, and if your ex feels his solicitor is doing this, then it is his prerogative to continue using his services.

dandy lioness

23 July 2015
Thanks AllForHer
I definitely agree with everything you said.
l don't understand why he would still want to keep going when he knows his own lawyer knows his lying now and why his lawyer would want to keep allowing him to use the family court to continue abusing his daughter's friend.