WA dog Ownership Dispute with a Ceased Rescue Group

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

K.Cope

1 April 2017
I have a dog in my care who we consider to be our dog. She came into our care at approx 7wks of age as a Foster Puppy through a small local dog rescue. This was March of 2014 so 3years ago.
Since then she has been in our full time care, living with us at our home residence. Towards the end of that same year we contacted the rescue saying that we would like to adopt her ourselves to which they had no objection, she was removed from all 'adoption advertising' however they never chased up any paperwork or payments from us and we continued to foster other dogs for them too.
In June 2016 we contacted them looking for assistance in rehoming her due to a change in our circumstances however due to a lack of response (months past) we notified them that we would go ahead and privately rehome her if they had not taken Action by a said date. At this point in time it came to light that the small local rescue was closing down and would no longer be running so when said date that we gave them came and went, we took things into our own hands.
Due to another major change in circumstances we decided that we would actually be able to continue to give her a permenant loving home with all the attention and care she needs.
Now just in the past week we have been contacted regarding ownership of her. The lady who run the rescue who she originally came through agreed that she was happy for her to stay with us and that she would like to meet to discuss payment options/plans.
Today I have been advised that "ownership" of our dog has been handed over to another party (another local rescue) and that they basically have the intention of "removing" her from here.
What kind of legal standing do I have when it comes down to it?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,
That's a really complicated situation. Would the lady who originally ran the shelter be willing to provide a statement to the effect she had agreed for you to keep the dog? When you believed you were the new owner of the dog, did you register the dog through the local council? I ask because the Dog ACT 1976 sect 16A DOG ACT 1976 - SECT 16A basically says if you registered the dog in your name, that can count as a change of ownership. I'm paraphrasing of course but with the statement from the previous owner and registration in your own name it may count as a change of ownership. I would personally gather my evidence and wait for them to take action, but noting you are dealing with a fur baby and member of your family you may feel better speaking with a lawyer and initiating the action to prove ownership.