QLD Pets - Am I Liable for Poodle's Injury?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

imfabulous

2 December 2016
My big dog was in our yard. The neighbours were walking their yappy poodles. One of the poodles rushed the fence and started barking aggressively at my dog. My dog rushed at the fence,too (in defence) and the poodle ended up with a cut lip. I feel bad for the poodle but I don't think it's my dogs fault?

The poodles always bark at my dog from their yard and it was the one who barked and rushed the fence first and the owners are aware that the dogs react this way.

My thinking is that the poodle owners were aware what may happen and should have kept their dogs clear of the fence. They are saying that we will "hear from their solicitors".

Am I liable under Australian Consumer Law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
the poodle ended up with a cut lip.

Which dog trespassed? If all parts of your dog stayed on your property at all times then you are OK. If your dog reached through the fence then you are liable.

imfabulous

2 December 2016
I didn't see it. But my dog's nose is too fat to fit through the gaps in the cyclone fence? So the Poodle must have put it's head through the fence.