VIC Employment Law - Did I Act Unprofessionally?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

kaikai

11 May 2017
Hi all,

I applied to a job vacancy and I got the following message back:

Thank you for your interest in the XXXX.

I notice you are living in Spain, and was wondering if it was possible to arrange a time to contact you regarding your application. Our operating hours here in Melbourne are 9:00am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday.

Could you please advise me on a suitable time to contact you.

Kind Regards,

Second message:

I noticed I wrote Spain – I meant Canada.

My reply:

That's OK. I am glad to hear back from you.

Anytime next week between 10 AM ~1:00 PM (Melbourne time) is good with me.

Thanks,

My latest reply:

I haven't heard anything back from you. Has something changed at your end or you are just busy?

Thanks,

I think the interviewer got offended by "I am glad to hear back from you." I mean the interviewer can view this as I was trying to hit on her or something, but I was just trying to be friendly. If she does not want to hire me, just write back. This no answer business is purely unprofessional.

What do you lawyers think about this?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Kaikai,

I'm not a lawyer but I have a fair bit of experience in the corporate world and have been involved in the recruitment process a fair bit. I think you are reading too much into it. I agree that no response is rather unprofessional, but things can happen and things can change.

No professional would have read anything into your response. I have actually seen this same thing play out and it turned out the HR person had been made redundant. I'm not sure about the timeframe between communications but maybe give them a couple of weeks if you haven't already and see how it goes.