NSW Does Friend Have Grounds to Get AVO Against Me?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jillian

10 March 2017
Hello,

I had a "friend" do something unfair to me and when I sent her a text to ask about it, she sent a reply justifying her actions and I stupidly sent a text telling her to go F%&K herself. My intent was to end the relationship and tell her to get lost. Nothing more.

She is saying she will now go and get an AVO because of it. Does she have any grounds?

I have no intention of having any form of contact with her. Did I break the law in any way?

I know it was not smart but everyone has their limit.

Thank you for any help or comment

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Unlikely. You did not threaten her in any way, you were not stalking her, you didn't harass her. You were simply replying to one or more of her texts. I suspect her language to you was in the same vein that you replied with.

Jillian

10 March 2017
Hi Rod,

While I appreciate you answering I'm a little confused as you post says you are not a lawyer and don't give legal advice. I'm after definitive legal advice on my situation but thank you.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Maybe you need to pay for it? No-one here gives out 'legal' advice. Tips and helpful hints and advice for informational purposes and personal opinions. Check the disclaimers on the lawyers who do post here.

BTW no offense taken.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Hi Rod,
While I appreciate you answering I'm a little confused as you post says you are not a lawyer and don't give legal advice. I'm after definitive legal advice on my situation but thank you.

Then pay for legal advice.

On a side note - If all you did was send the single text you mentioned above and nothing further, I can't see an order being granted against you.

If it helps you sleep better, I am a practitioner.

Jillian

10 March 2017
Then pay for legal advice.

On a side note - If all you did was send the single text you mentioned above and nothing further, I can't see an order being granted against you.

If it helps you sleep better, I am a practitioner.
It does help and thank you for your reply,