QLD Does Ex De Facto Partner Have Rights to Share My House?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mark Watts

16 February 2020
Hi all,

I need some help on where to turn next or what to do. I am not sure if I was in a de facto relationship at the end, but we were earlier on in the relationship.

Myself and partner - English and Korean (now both Australian Citizens and she came in on my de facto visa - but we broke up for 2 years after this happened twice an got back together later.

We met overseas while working in the Maldives - we then travelled and came to the UK where we decided to move to Australia. After a while living and working and study. I became a temporary resident, permanent and then an Ausralian Citizen. My then-partner who was overseas for the 1st year came and joined me and also became a citizen later.

Long of it is we had been off and on for years, met in 2002, moved to Australia 2007-8. After we were defacto, we split up. I moved from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast and we were not together for 1-2 years. Then she came to the Sunshine Coast but after a while was not working, so she returned to Korea for almost 2 more years. In this time I saw other people and we had almost no contact, but she asked to return and I was single again I took her back.

We started living in my Family Unit on the Sunshine Coast together, so we had no real bills except for food, then when they decided to sell the unit, I decided to use my inheritance to buy a house in the Sunshine Coast.

I rented a place for a couple of months before moving in where we stayed together. Then I bought a house outright, all in my name and we both moved in. I did 95% renovations and she helped a tiny bit at first, but soon she also not happy and we were sleeping in separate rooms again.

We had many arguments and she became abusive and violent several times over several years (throwing stuff, scratching and screaming like a crazy person where I just sat and took it or left and went out}. I asked her to move out but she never did. So basically living as more roommates in same house different rooms. We hadn’t slept together in years anyway or any sort of intimacy. Several times I threatened to call police but being a 6’3” man and a small Asian woman I didn’t.

Anyway, she refused to move out so I decided I needed a break and returned to the UK. After a month or so here at the end of 2007, I messaged her that I am not coming back for now and we should break up.

I said she can stay in the house for a bit until she sorted herself out and had no more contact with her for a while.

Then beginning mid-2018 I said if she wants to stay then she can help out with bills and pay some rent. We agreed on an amount $1000 a month including bills and internet and use of my car (my parents' car which they left for me to use when they sold their unit).

NB - my parents are English and only came to Australia over Christmas for few months most years - on a tourist visa (they owned a unit and a car there.

So since 2018, she has been paying monthly this $1000 a month, but bills are increasing and other costs, car insurance (she crashed it twice so premiums increase), etc., so I have said to her better she start paying her own bills more and this last time, the internet, etc., rent goes up after all.

I also have my stuff in the house - everything belongs to me - fridge, washing machine, sofas, kitchen pots and pans - everything I bought she didn’t contribute at all to the house, and as I have all my stuff including clothes and belonging in my house in Australia I thought this lower rent was fine.

Here is the problem -

Now she is emailing saying I promised to give her the car - which I didn’t. She suggested it but wasn’t really mine to give and she is making a statement she should have a share of the house - which I don't believe she should as was bought with inheritance money received when we were not together.

Nothing was bought with money we earned while together, and we were not really a couple when I purchased the house - just more like mates together (no sex or intimacy, etc).

We have no other ties together - no children, no joint accounts, no investments together - nothing.

So what is the best course of action under family law? What rights does she have?

I am in the UK now and have been since September 2007 (have not seen her since then) and no intention to return to Australia (maybe if she moves out I will go sort out the house and rent or sell it?)

What should I do as she is making threats of house shares and she even mentions the house was bought by us - it was only bought by me. I paid all, I signed all - she came to a few viewings with me and sat in the real estates a few times but did nothing to contribute or pay or sign anything.

So I don't know if we were considered de facto at the time?

It has been more than 2 years we have been apart and can she still claim anything as she is saying that she has a share in the house or stating in an email she deserves a share and do I want to go down this route?

Thanks,

Mark Watts

16 February 2020
Sorry
Meant to say been in the UK since Sept 2017, not 2007. So 2 and a half year approx. No idea how to edit the post I made.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I reckon a trip to AU is gonna be necessary. Get over here. Get her out of the house and get it sold.

I don't think it would qualify for defacto, infact I strongly doubt it - she would have to pursue that through the courts but in all likelyhood once she gets legal advice on that one she'll give up. But right now you've got the problem of someone living in your house and not paying market value for rent.

Get over here, move into the house. Change the locks when she isn't home and put the house on the market.

Reactions: Paolo 777

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
The issue is see is her potential to claim squatter's rights... Unless I misunderstand, she's been there since 2007 (or is it a typo and it was supposed to be 2017? Either way, it doesn't change the situation much) and it COULD be argued therefore that she's been 'squatting' for more than 1 year...

Squatter's Rights: What Are They, and Should You Be Concerned? - Dore & Webb Lawyers

What this says though is that she would need to be using the house like her own (paying bills, rates etc) and a few other preconditions (like the owner not being aware of her tenancy etc), which it sounds like she couldn't really claim. She sounds like a regular tenant, and therefore I believe you can evict her legally given appropriate notice periods... So it does, as Sammy said, come down to whether she qualifies for de facto and therefore a share of your property. That's a tricky one. I wonder what would take precedence - her claim to de facto and therefore residency of the property through that, or your claim/right to evict her as your tenant? If both parties were making counter claims, would an eviction be put aside while waiting for a decision on her status...? I have no idea. But that's how I see this playing out... Agree with Sammy that it will be much easier to get done in person, but given it could be a protracted legal fight, that might not be practical.

Mark Watts

16 February 2020
Hi Guys thanks for the replys

Ok maybe i didnt write clearly - my EX is paying rent we agreed in August 2018 that she would pay $1000 per month , she even sent a Landlord declaration form via email which i signed - but didnt circle anything if full , part rent , nothing just that basic form ..
via email we agreed inc i continue paying the bills which i was paying before when i was there also , she also using my car etc .
I was happy with the arrangement as i left all my posessions , clothes there not packed away or anything ,i basically left on Holiday to UK and decided not to return - so looked at this like a Housesitter thats paying enough to cover costs ,
I Bought the house in nov 2014 , we moved in together dec 2014 - and not long later seperated and used seperate rooms , then i left Australia sept 2017
i know there is a 2 year period she can claim a share easily as defacto - if i understand that right ??????? otherwise she has to get court permission ???

Any more info would be great - I am happy with her staying there for now and this started as asked her pay more bills like internet that just finished and needs renewing i was direct debit before and plan expired ..
she obviuosy didnt like me mention more money in any way so she mentioned this share ?
thanks Guys Mark

sammy01

27 September 2015
forget squatters rights.
Get her outa there. Mate offer to give her the car and legally put it into her name if she leaves. Get your stuff out and get tenants in. What ever tax advantages or what ever you might think you're getting isn't worth it in comparision to the risk. What if she is renting out rooms? trashing the place? Who knows....

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
Sammy, the obvious question is HOW you get her out though. She's a legal tenant by the sounds of it and IF she tried to claim de facto, that might very well be a fly in the ointment too. It could potentially override a decision any tenancy tribunal (VCAT, NCAT, QCAT etc) case that the OP might pursue and the magistrate decides to wait until the outcome of the de facto claim before ordering her to be evicted.

Mark Watts

16 February 2020
Hi Guys
Thanks for the replys and discussion
Sammy - its not a tax break for me - just she said she saves on Tax when i signed the landlord certificate thing - think it goes through her work (salary solutions ) works for Bluecare as Carer .. Pretty sure after almost 15 years together she not trashing the place - its not that great anyway , dont think she renting out room either ..
I would happy give her the car if thats enough for her - i asked her what she wants so wait for that reply ..
At this stage there is no disagreement - just her email mentioning a share - so i dont even know what she wants or expects ,

I am also not trying to get her out the house at this stage - i suggested couple times might be best if she gets own place ?

I also never said she was Exclusive so i also have keys and tecnhically i am in the UK on holiday so i can also go back and live there she paying rent but nowhere agreed its for everything all for her - just said pay her way .. I dont know .
Just trying to cover my Bases and see what rights she would have and i would have also - her family in Korea well off , and she earns more then me now ..

Otherwise as you said wait till she goes holiday (back to korea for a few weeks) and sell or rent out to other ..

Mark Watts

16 February 2020
Hi Sammy

All this is in QLD so not sure that NSW form works in QLD - sorry not sure i mentioned or not
will do thanks for advice - had couple emails back from people
seems she had 2 years to claim Defacto - unless she in fiancial hardship then the courts can reopen or something like that
Plus we are NOT registered on the QLD registry office as defacto - as they emailed me back from a query .

Below is link to the only form i signed with regard to Landlord declaration (hope link works) as no idea how to upload pic here

Imgur
https://i.imgur.com/fntVTFZ.png

Thanks Mark