NSW DOCS Doing a Welfare Check?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jac2015

8 March 2017
I had a visit from community services (DOCS) regarding an incident that occurred with my ex. Our baby was not harmed or put in any danger, although DOCS came to visit me and my baby last week.

As the caseworker was leaving, she said "everything is fine here, although we will do welfare checks." The caseworker said there's no risk here for my baby so I was wondering under what circumstances can welfare checks be performed?

My ex is not allowed to live with me, could they be doing welfare checks to make sure he isn't living here?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Jac,

NSW Family and community services claim that most investigation only last for about a month, but they do say it can sometimes be longer if they feel it is needed. If they said they are coming back they might not believe your ex is really gone.

If on the next visit you can make them feel that you don't plan on making the mistake you made letting your ex in and that you will be very careful about who you let into yours and your babies lives, they might feel better about the past situation with your ex.

The whole thing is making them feel that your baby wont be exposed to any dangerous situations. They might also be just saying they will come back to keep you on your toes but I can't imaging they would do that. Hopefully they get what they need from the next visit to close out the investigation.