NSW DOCS - Bringing Together Children Who are Living Separately?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tracy smith

6 February 2018
My 14-year-old son and 7-year-old daughter have been separated for 8 months now and they have recently been given contact but can't sleep in the same house.

8 months ago, my daughter told me that my son asked her to turn around while he would run himself on her bottom. He started doing this when he was 11.

I asked him and he was honest. The Councillors that work with docs said we have all been doing great but it's starting to tear my son apart. He needs to come home. Why do they keep making excuses? Can i bring my son home? Even my daughter cries for him to come home.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Forgive me, but DOCS is much better at taking an objective view of children's behaviours than we, as parents, are. It doesn't sound like they're making excuses, it sounds like they're doing their job to protect your daughter from any further incidents of sexual abuse by your son.

My suggestion would be to do as DOCS say. No relationship on Earth supersedes the right of a child to be protected from abuse.

Tracy smith

6 February 2018
Forgive me, but DOCS is much better at taking an objective view of children's behaviours than we, as parents, are. It doesn't sound like they're making excuses, it sounds like they're doing their job to protect your daughter from any further incidents of sexual abuse by your son.

My suggestion would be to do as DOCS say. No relationship on Earth supersedes the right of a child to be protected from abuse.
Docs did nothing for 3days months and then put them with these psychologist's

AllForHer

23 July 2014
That doesn't matter. They're doing something about it now, and it's in both your kids' best interests to let them.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
It is an awkward situation, and at 14 your son might be the emotional equivalent of a 11 year old. Not easy to know what is best. Although expensive, maybe have a private psychologist evaluate your son to see if he remains a risk or whether he now appreciates he has done the wrong thing.