SA Do you have to indicate or not?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

okanynameyouwishthen

12 February 2015
Austral
Hi all, this is regarding SA laws but I guess should be a national concern.
My question is - you are driving in a lane that is a dedicated turn right lane & this lane then has 3 more splintering turn right lanes coming from it.This would result in there being 4 turn right lanes at the traffic light controlled intersection.
Is indication needed in these type of situations ? Apart from the furthest right hand lane of the 4 it is not obvious what the vehicle in front of yours but in the next lane is doing- whether they are attempting to change into your lane or simply showing they are turning right at the approaching intersection.
This seems overkill to me as this is a dedicated turn right lane anyway BUT you must always indicate vehicles changing direction.
So which one is it.?
Cheers
ok

sammy01

27 September 2015
Have you seen what we're actually meant to do when going straight through a round about? Madness.
But according to the SA drivers handbook, yup you needed to indicate and tbh I don't think it is overkill.

You must signal your intention with your direction indicators to:

• move to the left or right
  • turn left or right. This includes leaving the continuing road at a modified T-intersection when you intend to go straight ahead (Example 8 and 9)
Example 8 seems like overkill BUT examples 11 and 12 on the website show the expectation is to indicate in the scenario you described.

okanynameyouwishthen

12 February 2015
Austral
Cheers.
tbh, I indicate that I'm exiting a roundabout. Don't think I used to when 1st licenced (16+) but in 20's when I upgraded to MR class & was driving lots of light/medium trucks it seemed a no-brainer. Became a habit from there & personally I wish more people would be less self-absorbed when in that position & think more about the many times I bet they've been in the position of other cars whose journey would be less affected by the simple gesture.
Then again these days I'm near convinced instructors must be teaching the young'n's to be completely oblivious to other drivers. Failing to move from left lane to right lane to allow a vehicle to merge into that left lane- failing to get out of a right lane once in it & failing to keep clear to allow turning vehicles into side streets when in bumper to bumper congestion are 3 that come to mind that I see near-daily it seems. The majority of these drivers seem to be convincingly blissfully unaware of any effect on other drivers when you glance over to them.
Back to my op, out of habit, I'm sure I do indicate when in one of these turning lanes & more often than not I'm towing a trailer behind my ute & few times I've been beeped &/or vehicle in next lane has dropped back &/or waved me over to enter their lane even though I was content to be in the 2nd or 3rd lane of the 4 right turn lanes.
Didn't think much of it until a time I was in the 2nd lane turning & bloke in 1st turning lane started abusing me as supposedly I was expected to read his mind that not only did he want to turn right but he also wanted to do it from my lane & in front of me. I assume that was what his yelling & arm waving was about anyways.
It would remove any doubt from this type of instance surely, have vehicles in designated turn right lanes( & that's all you could do from said lanes ) not need to indicate an intention that is glaringly obvious, to begin with.
I know for sure had we all not been indicating as all aware 4 lanes turn right when seeing this muppet indicating from the lane next to me his intention to get in my lane would've been obvious & accommodated.
Less confusion, less agro. maybe i drive too much & think about these things when doing so.
cheers

sammy01

27 September 2015
yeah, i reckon you should indicate.

I also reckon you should do yoga. I dont reckon this scenario warrants you spending time on here asking about it.. Stress less, live longer.

okanynameyouwishthen

12 February 2015
Austral
I reckon you should s**t in your hands & then clap vigorously but then as that isn't a question about law I wouldn't start a thread about it. Mere opinions much same as your 'yoga' suggestion & unnecessary.

I would however start one to ask for verification on a traffic law being as it's a legal forum for asking questions regarding law.

Why do you people chime in as if a gun is at your head & you're being forced to answer ?

Is it stunted mental development that causes you to read a generalized post but yet convince yourself the poster was writing it directly to & only for you ? Sign up for a pen pal somewhere if you want to feel that special, else just read & move along without having to be a flogger.
Geez, some people. yoga ?!?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Welcome. Pm me and I'll give ya my address, surely I've earned half the winnings for giving you accurate and correct advice, both about the need to indicate and the need to stress less.