NSW Do We Have to Get a Divorce?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

S-c-o-t-t

22 February 2016
Good morning,

Me and the other parent separated for one year and 2 months. We got one child (3-years-old ). So far we didn't apply for divorce.

Do we have to divorce or can we stay as separated without divorce?

Thank you

sammy01

27 September 2015
You can, but there are some legal impications. Like, if one of you dies, the other would be the default to inherit stuff, etc.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
And you can't marry another person while still married. Also consider if shared property is an issue.

Hayder Shkara

Lawyer
16 January 2017
Sydney, NSW
www.neatlaw.com.au
Hi Thi, did you want to make orders in relation to the child's visitation or to any financial settlement? How long were you together for?

S-c-o-t-t

22 February 2016
Hi.

We been married for 4 years. We singed a parenting plan 2 months ago. All has been fixed up and I don't need to apply for anything.

Hayder Shkara

Lawyer
16 January 2017
Sydney, NSW
www.neatlaw.com.au
Up to you if you want to finalise the divorce. Like sammy and Rod mentioned - if you are thinking of marrying again, you will not be able to.

If either of you die at the moment, you will pass all your inheritance to the other. Might be worth just finalising it with a formal divorce. Costs like $900.

Hayder Shkara

Lawyer
16 January 2017
Sydney, NSW
www.neatlaw.com.au
I'm a family lawyer. If you want some more advice or even just a chat on your situation, you can book at time that suits you at: Hayder Shkara, Sydney Lawyer: Book Online or call my office. I can give you some advice as to what you should do.