VIC Do I Need to Attend Magistrates Court for a Hearing?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Civilhelp

23 March 2018
I have received an application to attach earnings hearing letter. Do I need to attend the hearing?

I have already attended a hearing to declare my earnings but have since become unemployed due to illness and will be soon receiving Centrelink benefits.

Magistrates court website says I don't need to attend, but the claimant's lawyer has sent their own letter stating an arrest warrant may be issued if I don't attend, so confused as to what to do.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I don't have a lot of knowledge about this subject, but I like to give you an advice: never ever neglect anything with the courts, always address the issue by going or seeking legal advice, don't rely on what is written here (mine is the exception), as it is not from a legal source. Contact legal aid if you can not afford a lawyer and they will listen to you and provide with sound advice on how to deal with it, so don't let it go. Court is important and you need to address it. The choice is yours either: talk to a lawyer/solicitor or talk to legal aid.