VIC Do I have to pay when trades bring on others to complete a quoted job?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dutchy76

21 October 2019
Hi. An electrician quoted for the install of several pendant lights at my house but said he would inspect the other job (modem move) when on site.

He arrived at the agreed time with two other electricians and after inspection decided to switch the quote to an hourly rate x three electricians. As they were already in my house setting up when this was explained I didn't feel I had opportunity to refuse.

Three hours later I receive an invoice for $990 (3hrs labour x 3 electricians + $180 call out fee which was not originally disclosed) + GST. Double the original quote.

This is the second time this has happened - previously a plumber arrived with an apprentice and charged me an additional $200 above the quoted price for his apprentice's time.

Under Consumer Law are we obligated to pay for extra trades brought on for a job that was originally quoted for on a task basis?

Last edited:

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
It sounds like you agreed to revoking the original quote and substituting the work at an hourly rate. You've said you didn't feel like you had an opportunity to refuse. From their point of view they'll probably argue there was more work that initially thought and they gave you the option of proceeding, which you agreed to.

If they hadn't asked and got your agreement to change the scope of work and manner of payment, you might have some grounds to argue against the bill. Even then, if they're got a halfway decent quote wording it will likely have a clause which allows them to revise their quote should something unforeseen cause the cost to increase.

Reactions: Perp