NSW Do I have right of refusal, giving up my IMEI number to police?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

QDAK

4 May 2019
I am a victim of a crime, I had my phone stolen during the mugging. I hadn't contacted any of the assailants who came onto me, but had contacted someone prior to the drop (Marijuana) off, they didn't have anything do with the mugging, my previous phone was stolen and I do not have the IMEI number for that phone yet the Police want my IMEI number of my new phone to look through my contacts and call logs and I was wondering if I have the right of refusal as they do not have any warrants nor was I an assailant, I was the victim and I have strong belief that the assailants had nothing to do with the drop off, it seems like they are just trying to get some people done on a different case when I just want these assailants to be caught not the drop off.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Have they taken the phone?
I'd go to the police station and ask for the phone back. Be prepared to be polite - but assertive.

Yes you have the right of refusal. The cops are likely to tell you that you dont - they will also likely tell you that 'if you've got nothing to hide - then what is the problem". Basically, they will bully you, safe in the knowledge that if they do succeed in getting the information, they will be accurately able to claim that you volunteered it...
Have a read
The Right to Silence (NSW) - Go To Court Lawyers

You must tell the cops your name, address and date of birth. That is all.