NSW DNA Testing - What are My Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mickjhonson

1 December 2016
Hi all,

Well today I had a random phone call from someone I don't know claiming that 9 months ago, we slept together and now she has had a baby and wants me to take a paternity test or DNA testing.

I don't recall this person or having anything to do with them, however, if it is possible that it is true, what rights would I have as I have never been informed of anything and all of a sudden, I got a call?

Wouldn't the father be obligated to sign the birth certificate? Wouldn't the father have to be involved in the process and you cannot rock up on someone's door and say here is your baby, you have to pay child support?

Surely, there is something to protect men from girls having one night stands to only seek financial compensation 9 months later whether they are or are not the father?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Migz

20 November 2016
Mick I pretty much went through something very similar, and I'm going to give you the bad news first.

Surely, there is something to protect men from girls having one night stands to only seek financial compensation 9 months later whether they are or are not the father?

There isnt. For starters this woman has reached out to you to take a DNA test, if you refuse, she can still continue on, and hand over all of your details including where you work, to Child Support. They will then call you and pretty much ask you to take responsibility of the child.

Now, you can do 2 things, and say, 1, I'm not on the birth certificate, 2. There is no DNA to prove it. They will say OK, then take the DNA test and if it comes back positive, you will be footing their $750 fee as well.

So my opinion is get out in front of this, order your own DNA kit from EasyDNA for half the cost of the Child Support one, ask to see the baby and the mother, carry out the swabs in front of her, put them in the envelopes, and walk to the nearest letter box together and post them together. So there is no form of tampering so to speak. Wait a few week for the result.

mickjhonson

1 December 2016
Hi, thanks for the reply, however, surely there is something in place to protect men who work hard and are wealthy from women who would forcefully get themselves pregnant and by this, I mean I never have unprotected sex, so there is a possibility she could have used the remains from a condom after I had left?

I just don't know how it is possible, for someone to call you out of the blue and say, "Hi I have your kid".

Excuse my ignorance but shouldn't the male have to consent and be part of the process?

sammy01

27 September 2015
I'm not being a smart arse, but the bit about not understanding, well that is birds and bees stuff, so there is a child it is (possibly) made up half of your DNA and half hers. That kid lives in a society which believes both parents have a financial responsibility for their kids. Hence if the kid has your DNA then you'll pay.

So when you had sex without protection - that is implied DNA. But here is the thing, the whole how it happened doesn't matter... What matters is whether or not the kid is yours.

So help me out: do you accept that you had sex with this woman? If yes, then there is a reasonable chance the kid is yours. You really only have two options.

1 -Your best bet - hide

2. Ask for DNA test and realise if it comes back positive, you're stuffed. Oh and given she made no attempt to contact you for 9 months, you can reasonably assume she really doesn't want you in the kid's life - except for child support.

Now if you don't think you had sex with her, then revert to rule 1. Your best bet - hide. If all she has is a mobile number, then change numbers. If she knows where you live and your last name then this option is a waste of time.

So what does she want from you? Has she contacted Child Support? So what are the chances that you had a one night stand with this woman?